Years and years ago, when I was a baby writer, I had a blog serial. It was fun for me, but I didn’t have the readership to justify the time. (Seriously, I’m not exaggerating when I estimate four people read it.) However, I still love the idea of using the serial format to explore the lives of characters who would otherwise not have their story told.
There are a lot of complicated feelings about Boaz, which is cool. You’re all entitled your feels! But, and if you’re in my reader group you’ve heard this before, I actually have a huge soft spot for him.
See, I wrote How to Save an Undead Life about five years ago. I turned it in to my developmental editor, and she helped me see that the idea needed to cook longer. A couple of years later, I revisited the idea, and…it still didn’t work. Grier and Linus had no spark, and the only way to create it was to twist him into a character I didn’t want to write. I waited a long time for Linus, and I couldn’t do that to him. Enter Boaz.
He was the wedge I needed to drive between Grier and Linus to force them to grow into the people they needed to be. Sure, he’s an asshat. And yeah, my readers call him Bo-ass. But hey! His ass saved the series. That makes him pretty special. Special enough I want to redeem him.
Well, not me personally. I ain’t got time for that. I’m going to let Adelaide do it for me.
How This Works
- I will post snippets bi-weekly or monthly depending on my deadlines. During release months, there may be no posts at all. My novel-length projects will always come first, and I have zero control over my projects with publishers. That means I might have to press pause on this until those obligations have been met.
- These snippets will be a couple thousand words, basically a single scene to further the story arc.
- Serials not your thing? No problem. I’ll have this edited and formatted and slap it up on Amazon when it’s finished.
- I say that to say this– This project might end up a short story or a novella or a novel or even a few novels. It all depends on you guys! Read the blog, leave comments, share it with your friends. I can’t base this decision on sales. I have to go with my gut. When interest peters out, I’ll tie it off and make a book out of it.
- I’ll give this a quick self-edit as I go, but it’s not going to get polished until it’s done and with my editor. (Trust me, she’s much better at her job than I am.) I’m sure there will be timeline issues and other fun things if this goes on for long. SPEAKING OF TIMELINES!
- This serial kicks off the night after Adelaide breaks the news to her dad she’s agreed to marry Boaz and goes from there. It will bop all over the place–again, depending on how long this lasts–from that moment (which happens in the background during How to Break an Undead Heart) and all throughout The Beginner’s Guide to Necromancy (plus epilogues) and The Potentate of Atlanta series.
- I’ll probably add more notes here as I think of stuff and things.
- Also? You might want to subscribe to the blog. That will make it easier to spot the new posts since they may or may not appear on any kind of schedule. You can do that by entering your email in the subscription widget.